Monday, January 4, 2010

None of us are free; (Each)one of us is chained

Mar 08

Scene n-1:

"I have always wanted to get into consulting because..."

"I want a career in corporate finance"

"Life is going to be awesome"

Scene n:

“Just get an internship.”

“Apply everywhere!”

“Your aspirations do not matter right now.”

"I'll take anything that wants me!"

“Career center is useless!”

Scene n+1:

“Well, it does sort of fit with my plans. It’s got strategic work, you know?” Hmmm?

“Yeah, marketing was my focus. But dude it is Am***n. The finance at Am***n is different than usual finance jobs.” Really?

“Yeah, I got an offer. (But I am still so grumpy)” Hey wasn’t it yesterday that you announced that just one offer is all you want from dear life itself?

“Oh! You do not have an internship? (I am so sorry for you) Hold it! I am not terminally ill!

How can you possibly look so relaxed? What is there to be happy about? I hate everybody! Life sucks! Why are people applying to jobs they do not care about? (well, secretly I am doing the same but I am holier than thou!))”

Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!!

Epilogue:

Jobs and careers are important, I agree. For a sizable demographic populace, at least. A little setback has sent people behaving like there will be Armageddon in 5 hours! So, we scowl at everyone and only have pessimism to spew. Anybody not behaving the same way is thought to be a freak or has too much money or not "serious". I.e. FREAK!

You are expected to conform or be dismissed. Pressure is mounting to succumb. But how can I apply just anywhere? I am not closed-minded. I am open to exploring avenues. But I cannot make indiscriminate choices. I will gather the information that I get and make a decision based on that. And no, I am certainly not a preachy, white-winged, halo-headed, pure angel. I have succumbed on several occasions. But I have tried to dig myself out before it is too late. The fight goes on.

None of us are free, one of us are chained.
None of us are free. - Solomon Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment